View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 03:42 AM
Bulldog08
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Originally Posted by 2GoodEngines View Post
I appreciate all the great comments. Im struggling right now with the decision whether to stay at my corporate gig, which is SUPER easy with only about 4 or 5 overnights and 15-20 days off a month (but is pretty much topped out in terms of career progression, salary, etc), or going 121. I would most likely have to go to a regional first, and the one at the top of my list would have me commuting to IAH from 350 miles away. There are 3 direct flights each day, 2 on company metal and the other on a different UAL regional. Then there are another 5 or 6 flights per day on AA and their regionals that would two-leg through DFW. Ive talked to the gate agents here at my airport for both company and AA, and they say the jumpseats are almost always empty. The regional I’m looking at (XJT) has a pretty nice commuter clause with unlimited “two flight” events and I think 3 or 4 “1 flight” events in a year. They seem to have a nice schedule improvement system to build more commutable lines, and new hire reserve is currently only a couple of months. It all adds up to what I “think” would be a pretty decent commuting setup (in relative terms of course), but my fear is dropping my current gig, getting neck deep with the regional, then finding out I’m completely wrong and it’s a total nightmare. Obviously there’s no way to know without just doing it, but everyone’s input has been very helpful. Now if someone can just tell me exactly what I should do, I can make a decision and get on with my life :-)
I am in the almost exact same scenario. I’m also looking at XJT. I’m still reading and trying to research the 121 lifestyle. IAH is about a 3.5hr. drive for me. I imagine this would get old driving every week. It seems I read mostly about 4 day trips. Is there anyway to lump more days together to only have to commute 2-3 times a month vs. 4?