View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Snapshot217
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2013

OP, if it's adventure you want, go get it. There are plenty of gigs out there, within your experience range, that will let you scratch the travel itch and give you some stories to tell the grandkids. I've taken a "it's not a race" mentality with my career, seeking out a path less traveled, and I'm glad I have. Sure, seniority is important, but even more so is being able to lay on your death bed without any regrets. If you and your wife want to go live in a far flung destination for a while, that's freakin' awesome, and IMO you should absolutely find a way to make it happen. Go have some adventures for a year (or two, or three), then head back stateside and chances are the hiring boom will still be in full swing.

I second the other posters who mentioned ACMI and ISR; those may be your best routes (although there's plenty of other crazy stuff out there...) Plus, since these are US-based companies you can keep your job once you decide to move back home.

With ISR, on the plus side you will DEFINITELY get to go to some wild places and do some adventurous flying, pay is good, and you can live wherever you want in your off time. Depending on the company you may also get to do long-distance relocations. At my last gig I flew a King Air from the Middle East back to the states via Europe and Greenland; really an awesome experience. Downside is the danger of flying in conflict areas, living on base, the hurdle of getting a secret/top secret clearance if you don't have one already (although many companies will sponsor you), and long time on the road (usually 2-3 months at a time, but then you get 2-3 months off). Companies to look at are L3, CAC, Dynamic, Avenge, Berry, Leidos, etc.

I've never flown ACMI but I have three buddies at Atlas who love it (aside from the ongoing contract circus). One of them lives in Amsterdam during his time off. On any given rotation they're going all over the world and now have heavy types to boot. Two of them came from the right seat of RJs, so chances are you'd be competitive.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info!