Thread: Atlas Houston
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 03:49 AM
60av8tor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
Glad I've got your attention. Actually the point I was making is that when we say "Hey! That crew sucked!" we don't self-reflect. None of us would go flying if we didn't have supreme confidence in our own abilities. That confidence turns into an identity issue where we throw stones before acknowledging the pitfalls that we could walk into ourselves.

My point in that we're just marginally less likely to die is based on a previous assertion that crews who died on other planes (737max) were simply inept. This may be the case, but we then fail to recognize our own issues within first-tier, Western companies. That's why I chose to reference the accidents I did.

So do I think I can outfly you, personally? Yup. Come fight me.
But do I think I'm also susceptible to the same things that kill idiots? Yup.
And when I go back to swinging gear again, I’m much more comfortable doing it for someone humble, but confident any day of the week. Someone that knows they’re competent and capable, but also knows that everyone - including themselves - is fallible; someone that can look at all the info, make informed decisions, and not jump to conclusions. I’ve worked with guys who spout off like they’re the second coming, and the minute things go wonky they’re a hot mess. Again, multiple view points are at play. Saying a training program sucks, or that an HR department didn’t do due diligence doesn’t mean the individuals were any less culpable.