View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM
4020Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
I’d think it would be more to work on one’s own plane. Who’d want the potential liability issues with a part time gig.
I actually am talking about working on one’s own aircraft. If an individual owns an airplane and returns it to service, he/she can be held liable for that work performed. Basically your insurance would insure the aircraft and pay out on the accident, but would not cover you, as an individual for maintenance malpractice long after you sell the aircraft, or even if someone else borrows the aircraft while you still own said aircraft.

While maintenance “malpractice” might sound like an individual committed something egregious, a shyster lawyer could easily convince a jury that something as simple as a Service Bulletin not being performed (which isn’t required under Part 91 ops) is malpractice. Unfortunately, GA is littered with many stories such as someone mentioned above, that a lawyer sued everyone in a logbook to get something for a family (and himself!).

All that I’m asking is go into this with your eyes open, and if you’re ok with it, then great!

With all that said, I work on my own aircraft, and will continue to do so, but I don’t let anyone borrow it, and I’m picky about passengers, as well.