Thread: Well crap...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Ovenmitts View Post
I applied there for the open FO positions. It was just last week however. Any idea how long it can take to get a call? I am guessing months?
Not practical to apply to a single top-tier major and expect and results, quick or otherwise, unless you're in a narrow range of fighter pilots with specific tickets punched. To have a decent shot at majors, you need to cast a wide net and then it could easily take several years to get hired even if you fit the mold they're looking for. It's also normal, for both mil and civ, to have multiple internal LORs on file with a top-tier major. That last is pretty much assumed, so I can't even guess at the ramifications of having no internal recs. Hopefully you know some folks in the airlines?

If you get on with one of the better airlines, you could try commuting for a while and plan on ultimately moving to base... that could in some situations allow very minimal flying. And the money would most likely be better than what you're used to, even if wife has to downgrade her employment.

There is a demand in the corporate world, although the unicorn jobs are never a gimme, as you well know. If you're going to move anyway, might as well try airlines if you can get on. now's a good time and you might might like it better than most corporate gigs. You can always go back to corporate at any time. If you're going to sit tight in the home town, fractionals are an option but airlines are better in most respects if you can avoid an ugly commute. Your exact location and nearby airline service would determine that.