View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 10:09 AM
MinRest
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by jtf560 View Post
The old games are always possible, but so far have really only been only played on probationary pilots and few of those at that. I don't think it is really something the vast majority of new hires will have to worry about. I'm not saying some haven't been screwed over, but that if NetJets is what someone wants, it isn't a particularly great reason to go somewhere else. That said, most ex military are probably a good bet to get on with a major airline and that is most likely a much better option anyway for the majority of pilots overall.

If I were going to choose a place to work in the current pilot environment, NetJets would be pretty far down my list, behind most good airlines due to the career pay and retirement plans available elsewhere. It isn't a bad job and is most likely the top of the heap outside of the majors, but it isn't as easy a job as most airlines- you will work hard for the money for the most part and it is impossible to save as much for retirement as the B plans at the majors. I have no plans on leaving due to my personal situation, but I personally wouldn't make a go of it here if I was starting a career now and could get hired at the majors in the next 5 years or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Well said. Having worked at both NJA and a major, it’s been enlightening to see both sides and compare. I would only go back to NJA if for some reason I had no shot at another airline. It’s pretty stable although I argue that there are some instabilities of fractional ownership. As far as private jets go, outside of the unicorn part 91 jobs, you won’t get the type of career anywhere else that you’ll get at NJA. The million dollar conundrum is why choose NJA as a career. Personal situations, hatred for the airlines, base flexibility etc are all reasons they sway ones decision to make a career of NJA.

NJA has is share of shinanigans but if you keep your nose clean, especially the first year, you will be fine.

My big fear for anyone choosing a career there is the pay changes that incentivize flying tired. I wonder what that is going to look like from a work culture standpoint in the years going forward.