Thread: CFI Pay
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 PM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

I would do a little searching. I make around 50k a year as a CFI. I train airforce pilots. I make $25 an hour and am guaranteed all the students I can want. I train 4 guys at a time in two hour slots. So that's 8hrs a day I bill because they only get 25 flight hours and they have to pass the written before they solo. So if it's bad weather I'm still giving them their full two hours. In the afternoons frm 5-7 and 7-9 I train civilians sometimes. It gets pretty tiring but I take it while it's there. I figure with the times I don't fly are made up by those flights in the afternoon.

If I were you I'd stay away from the big places. They make their money two ways. By sticking it to the students and sticking it to the employees. Find you a local FBO somewhere. A place where their primary concern is not flight instructing. A place where their main money comes from elsewhere. Where I fly they charge $27.50 and I get $25.00 of it. Most places charge like $35 and only give $15.00. F that. Just take your time and look for a good place. If you want PM me and I'll give you my login on climbto350.com. You'll get a job if you just hang in there! I was reroofing houses when I found this one. Just give yourself 2-3 months of hard looking and you'll get that job worth getting!