Thread: Alcohol policy
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 10:22 AM
NYFinExec
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by holygrail View Post
Hello, I’m the safety officer for a part 91 operator. One time in 25 hrs a trip was delayed because one of the pilots had a drink with dinner. The principal was fine with it and the corporate culture is great.The same scenario has presented itself recently and the new chief pilot is threatening “no drinking on the road”...period. I’m thinking that will result in a mass exodus, not because of the policy itself but because it gets really intrusive and caddy. So I’m curious what other creative / fair alcohol policies are out their in the part 91 world.
Not a pilot, but owner (family has 2 planes (1 more on the way) and company has 1). The way we do it is nothing at all between 3am - 6pm when you’re on a rotation (we do 10 days on 10 days off) and never more than 1 drink an hour when on call outside of those hours. Rest period is your period, but we ask for the courtesy of using good judgement. We always try to give at the very minimum a 4 hour notice, and we pay salary. We also are happy to cover a drink or two during a meal during their rest period as part of per diem.