View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 05:24 AM
AntiPeter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by hawkerpilot05 View Post
Probation is just as it states, they can get rid of you for any reason. Do you think they say it is because of sick calls? No, they are smart enough not to do this. It is no different then working in a "right to work" state. They can fire you for anything. Even off probation they track sick calls and people have been called over them. The company tracks everything and has a very good track record of looking for patterns that stand out. Sometimes it is over nothing, but it can happen. Unfortunately we have some that never call in sick and rather then address this, they look at those that have a high number. With that said, off probation I am unaware of anything happening to someone who calls in sick a lot other then to let them know the company is aware of this. Just don't post on Facebook your on vacation after you called in sick which some have done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Agreed. Whether at NetJets or a legacy, be very careful about calling in sick, fatigue or any other behavior that may attract attention while on probation. Fair? No. But, this is the way the world works. You will not get effective union representation during probation and you are an at will employee.

A company can terminate you for any reason during probation (aside from those reasons protected by law), heck they don't need to even give a reason. I have seen this, even at corporations with good reputations. On the flip side, you can sue them for any reason for damage to your career. They can be held liable. I know of some that have been successful, but it's definitely an uphill road, expensive and a lot of stress and drama.

Keep your nose clean until you start paying union dues. You really don't have a choice. It's a shame, but this is the way of the world.