View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 05:35 AM
MinRest
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by AntiPeter View Post
Agreed. Whether at NetJets or a legacy, be very careful about calling in sick, fatigue or any other behavior that may attract attention while on probation. Fair? No. But, this is the way the world works. You will not get effective union representation during probation and you are an at will employee.

A company can terminate you for any reason during probation (aside from those reasons protected by law), heck they don't need to even give a reason. I have seen this, even at corporations with good reputations. On the flip side, you can sue them for any reason for damage to your career. They can be held liable. I know of some that have been successful, but it's definitely an uphill road, expensive and a lot of stress and drama.

Keep your nose clean until you start paying union dues. You really don't have a choice. It's a shame, but this is the way of the world.
Again, I think this is advice from a by gone era. But it wouldn't be the first time NJA bites the hand that feeds them with regard to hiring. NJA is already desperate for new hires looking ahead and it is only going to get worse. NJA lower management is merely creating more work for the hiring department and creating a bad stigma and rep for NJA by forcing people out before their probation is up for sick and fatigue calls. Not saying that is happening in high numbers or is the norm, but is sad if that is what is going on. No legacy is going to hire you, then fire you at the end of the tear for a couple of sick calls in 2020, I can promise you that.

Paying union dues isn't a get out of jail free card. Your behavior before and after probation can easily get you canned. Ask some of the 15+ year NJA guys who were fired for doing dumb stuff.