Thread: China...
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 02:46 AM
The Dominican
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 747 captain

Originally Posted by EXPAT1 View Post
Nobody thinks the world is ending but perhaps more and more aviation jobs. Cathay Pacific has 50% of its fleet on the ramp in Hong Kong along with 90% of the Hong Kong Airlines fleet. Hainan is bankrupt. Korean air carriers have cutback 50% and now Europe has cut back about 25-50% as their domestic air travel demand plummets. I am sure Japan is doing just fine though as you have been through many downturns. https://www.flightglobal.com/network...137033.article
I'm not minimizing the impact, most of the reduction in capacity you see now also happened during SARS and a couple of months later nobody was even mentioning the name SARS.
Same thing during the Fukushima disaster, capacity was cut down here dramatically, but the collapse of the Japanese economy and the devalue of the Yen that all experts were predicting never materialized.

And that is my point, all this reduction in capacity will stop just as fast as it started, the Chinese are at the starting line just waiting to travel again as soon as the media fueled panic dies down.
This is just a momentary thing not a catalyst of things to come, I believe that come summertime nobody will be talking about this!