View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 06:32 AM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

First off, congrats! I remember that time well and it was a great feeling, enjoy it! You're about to start the most fun 2-3 years of your life...well, I'd call UPT the most fun I'd never want to have again lol. B-course was an absolute blast! You'll make closer friendships with your classmates than you could ever have imagined! I'm envious of the journey you're about to start.

Definitely try to get a regional job before leaving! What if they don't have orders after seasoning? You say now that you want to go full time after seasoning, what if you don't? I thought the same way, then I became a full-timer and didn't enjoy it as much as I figured I would. So after all my training, 2 years of seasoning and a year or so of full time, I jumped to a regional. I didn't have enough time to get a regional gig before I left for UPT so I was a newhire FO at a regional. I went from making 100k/yr in the mil to 25k/yr as a regional FO. I was single/no kids, and I was able to make another 40-50k as a part timer and I didn't need much money to get by anyway. However, my regional airline buddy that was hired on the some board at the Guard, went back to his regional. Spent a few months as a FO, then upgraded to Captain. SO he was making 75-80k plus his guard check...big difference! On top of that, I actually had lots of fun at my regional. Ya, I didn't make crap, but the crews and trips were a blast and learned at lot. As a fighter guy, you'll do some incredibly complex and difficult stuff, but airline flying is just a completely different animal. I'm certainly thankful for my regional experience, which helped me big time when I transitioned to DAL.

Best of luck!