View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 07:06 AM
SlipKid
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

I'm gonna go with the majority here, and recommend driving if you can. Our start and end times typically won't put you in the worst of rush hour traffic, and like others have said, your car won't leave without you.

In the last 34 years, I've lived 10 minutes away from my domicile, a 3-5 hour drive (18 years!), a 30 minute flight with a drive backup (this was great! Until they stopped serving that city pair..), 2+ hour flights (8 of 10 years of that offline), and now have under an hour drive.

In order of best to least desirable, obviously, any drive plus or minus around an hour is ideal. Not only will your QOL be immeasurably more pleasant, you will have the opportunity to earn a lot more money, even in the current environment. The longer commute, the less flexibility you'll have, unless you really don't care about QOL and don't mind spending a lot of time in crash pads or commuter hotels.

Next would be short flight, that you could drive in a pinch.

Then a longer drive.

And in a very distant last place would be an airplane commute that you cannot realistically drive as a backup.

Good luck!