Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 08:10 AM
Mellokeith
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019
Default Commuting

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
AMF doesn't prohibit "commuting" via jumpseat, but it is discouraged. At the flight time level you describe, you would be assigned to an E120 base. Our E120 runs operate Monday PM to Saturday AM or Monday AM to Friday PM. Neither of these allows much time to jump seat home. And if you don't make it back for your duty assignment, you would be subject to disciplinary action. Unlike some passenger airlines, we don't have a policy where if you have a given number of backup options available and all of them get cancelled then you would be excused.

Sorry if that puts a damper on your plans.

The above is a reply to a question I had last summer about commuting as a 500 hour FO. It looks like I would have to spend a lot of time away from my wife and family to get to a Captain position. How often would I be able to go home if not on the weekends? We just purchased a beautiful new home two years ago and have no desire to move.

Next; Once I make Captain and start flying a BE99, how would that change my ability to live at home?

We are considering taking out a loan to cover costs and get me back up to speed with my IFR (IFR proficiency check 1994) at a much faster pace, but want to know that there will be some decent quality of life with my family in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Mellokeith; 03-06-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: less wordy