View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Fatcat
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Originally Posted by Douglas89 View Post
I am currently a construction manager (owners rep). I find construction actually very interesting. I love cranes, heavy equipment, understanding how things are built, etc. Though I have seen some bad things too. People seriously injured or in one case a guy who fell off a ladder and died. Construction is dangerous. Not very dangerous for a CM though. I have a pretty good work life balance and pay. However, I can not imagine doing this for the rest of my life. At the end of the day, if a project is not finished in time our firm would get fired.

There is an immense amount of pressure to finish on time and under budget. Two things that you don’t exactly have lots of control over. I also deal with some very difficult people. Old, salty guys who are very hard to be around and are very disrespectful.

A career in CM can open doors for things like becoming a developer in the future (those guys make serious money).

I am doing a career change to flying. I am 31 currently and am working on my instrument rating. Learning to fly has actually been really difficult. PPL was not too hard but instrument has been kicking my butt.

I begin to wonder, do I even have the ability to become a pilot?

I think it is a difficult question to ask people what career you should chose. Everyone is different. We all have different personalities, desires, needs, wants, etc. I think you need to write a list of the things you want out of a career. Don’t lie to yourself and be completely honest about what you want out a career. Write a pros and cons list for CM and Pilot.

Good luck!
Thank you sir, I'll definitely look into the pros and cons of each career