Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 AM
FreightDogs
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Mellokeith View Post
The above is a reply to a question I had last summer about commuting as a 500 hour FO. It looks like I would have to spend a lot of time away from my wife and family to get to a Captain position. How often would I be able to go home if not on the weekends? We just purchased a beautiful new home two years ago and have no desire to move.

Next; Once I make Captain and start flying a BE99, how would that change my ability to live at home?

We are considering taking out a loan to cover costs and get me back up to speed with my IFR (IFR proficiency check 1994) at a much faster pace, but want to know that there will be some decent quality of life with my family in the foreseeable future.
Hoping to help on this one.
Our schedule doesn't leave room for commuting. Our pilots must live within 1.5 hours from the base they agree upon in their offer letter.
Of course, you can skirt around that by renting a place close to the base and then trying to fly home as often as possible, but it won't give you a great QOL that way.

The majority of our pilots either already lived near a base or relocated. So with our schedule (Mon-Fri, morning to evening, regional flights), they are getting nights and weekends at home. That's the goal!
Without relocating, for you to get home it would be flying home on the weekends or putting in for vacation.
As a Captain, the schedules are the same and the situation would be similar.

This does not sound like an ideal situation for you.