Thread: Reduced Flying
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 06:50 PM
sanicom3205
Eating A Gruben

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by Tpinks View Post
Except that just about every airline has force majeure clauses that exempts that. AA for example has a 15 month period from a time a plane is parked until it affects scope limits. That is why the MAX grounding does not affect regional flying until Late June, in which 4 planes will be drawn down. The draw downs that the airlines have done I would wager have more to do with flying empty planes around than scope issues right this moment.

You can’t stop hiring for a month or two while expanding a fleet and then expect to be able to fully fly everything once everything is given the go ahead. Our CEO has specifically said we plan on hiring continuously. As of now, nothing has changed.

edit:
However, with the utter panic that is going through the population right now and the fact that ALL International flying has just been suspended from Europe, minus Great Britain, anything could happen. I still do not think we will furlough, however I could see possibly a slower paced Hiring period beginning IF this is shaping up to be a longer term issue. I think in 2-3 weeks, we will know more on how it’s going to shake out.

Lets assume we fly at a reduced rate. If the travel industry starts getting hit by people getting it and being placed in quarantine for two weeks, you have to have people to cover that flying. As it is right now, we are only staffed for a flying level that is 13% lower than what we actually have assigned to us. We will continue to grow that amount as we take additional Compass planes. While the flying is new to us, it is flying that is already within the DL system, so those planes aren’t just going to show up and not be flown. To furlough with such lengthy recovery periods would be setting us up for failure unless the entire industry is shut down.
Edit number three coming in about ten days.

In all seriousness the speed in which you just changed your outlook should give you pause. I know you aren’t willing to give a huge amount back, believe whatever helps you sleep tonight. We’re all generally in the same boat, and it’s taking water. We’ll see if we can bail fast enough.

But I will say that you shouldn’t be so confident.