View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
Going to the regionals out of the military is usually only done if you can’t get a call from one of the majors and you don’t want to pursue a non-flying career as plan b. Sure it’s nice to get some 121 stink in a relatively low threat environment and even a free ATP. However, the advantages of jumping directly are huge. I sank around ten grand into 73 type/ATP check (I was on a tight timeline) and it paid off in spades for me. I will never actually fly a 73, but feel like the “gamble” paid off. Also, training at a major is hardly high threat. They aren’t looking to spoon feed you, but they also aren’t looking to hook you.

There is nothing wrong with the regionals, except it means you aren’t on the seniority list that you want to be on when the industry hits a bump. It’s possible guys at the regional level are facing a significant delay getting on at a major due to Covid19 economic effects. I would be unhappy if I had jumped to a regional to get “unnecessary” experience only to face what is going on today. Hopefully, this blows over quickly and the regional to major pipeline starts chugging rapidly along again.
Absolutely go to mainline directly if at all possible. But if it's not, and your goal is airlines, regionals are probably a better (quicker) path as opposed to other flying employment (GA, corporate, ISR, etc). Faster time building and more airline-preferred boxes to check.

If you're clearly competitive, get your ATP before you leave AD.

If you're clearly not competitive for the tier you want to be at, plan on regionals and let them pay for the ATP.

The grey area is how long do you wait for a call before heading off to regional class? Probably safer to go sooner if in doubt.