Thread: Trade Work
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 08:29 PM
CJPilot1
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by Firefly899 View Post
All,

Trying not to get caught up in this whole mess with regards to the what if’s.

I am very low on the list and have to assume that if the company makes cuts I will be part of it.

With that, can anyone lend any credible insight into trade fields etc that I could try to join at an apprentice level that will get my family by?
Check out trucking. That’s my plan. My schedule ends April 30th at my current job. Some guys may laugh but my dad is a truck driver for a well known grocery store in the Southeast pulling in just shy of 100k per year, and he’s home every night. YMMV, some trucking gigs are better than others. It ain’t flying... but at least it’s sort of similar in the way that it’s not a monotonous 9-5 office job. My advice would be to self fund your truck driving school. You can get the training for free if you commit to a company, but you don’t want to end up with a contract, especially if you get called back sooner than you think. Training footprint is about 4-5 weeks. Cost is anywhere between 5-7k depending on location.

EDIT: I should add that he’s the busiest right now in this mess than he’s ever been. That includes holidays.

Last edited by CJPilot1; 03-15-2020 at 08:42 PM.