View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 AM
MarkVI
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Hiring is winding down. With AA announcing to the company yesterday that our schedule would be cut far greater than 3% (It's actually closer to 35% for April), and a rebid MOU being signed between the MEC and the Company, staffing needs are about to get a strong reevaluation.

Up until this point, Dayton has largely been unsure of what would be needed in terms of staffing going forward, as neither the Company nor the Union had heard much in the way of schedule culling from Mainline. At one point in time we were expected to lose just a handful of flights a day -- however, network wide, our load factor has fallen by far more than the equivalent of the 3% network cut mainline initially provided.

That being said, some of our busiest hubs have seen precipitous falloff in load factor, to the point that if this persists for some time, I would expect DFW to shutter two of their terminals until demand recovers.

I say that to say this: Flow has stopped. All mainlines (Delta, United, American, JetBlue, Southwest, Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant) have stopped hiring. There's nowhere for pilots to go. While we currently have a small CA shortage (laughable, given the insane reserve time our CA's face), if we begin to park aircraft, and our pilots at the top aren't leaving, then I don't see where we'd need new hires.

If you have an offer, reach out to your current management and your PSA recruiter. Try and strike a balance between letting your current management know how conditional this offer might be. Chances are, in this environment, they're no longer looking to backfill you, and might be willing to let you stay on if you give notice, and may be able to hold your spot for a bit in case PSA can't finish your training.