Thread: First year pay
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 06:23 AM
CactusCrew
Tri-tanic operator

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie

Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
Beg to differ a little bit. To begin, we have credit limits that prevent an individual from working too much. This is a good restriction - prevents a few individuals from taking all the extra flying. There are also some amongst our ranks (not I) that get butt hurt from new guys picking up excessive amounts of open time or junior assign (150% pay) trips, presumably since their pay rate is so low...? And even if you could work your back side off it’s not smart nor professional to do so IMHO, in most cases. Most normal schedules here, especially junior ones, will kick the crap out of you. Our plentiful days off aren’t as much a perk but more of a necessity to recover and prepare. Adding days here and there is one thing, maxing it out month after month just isn’t safe, especially as a new guy. There is also an argument amongst the new guys to limit flying first year in order to limit exposure to potential screwups which could put your job on the line. I don’t necessarily agree with this but it is a paradigm amongst the probies as of late. All of the above notwithstanding, you are obviously free to do whatever you choose.

I’d say if you must increase your cash flow, find a job outside of ups that is flexible and low stress. When I went through, we figured out our monthly cash requirements down to the dollar after cutting everything non essential. We took a very cheap loan from family to make up the deficit - easier to pay back the loan year 2-3 than get a second job year 1. YMMV.

Good luck.

All great info. I stayed away from extra flying in my first year, It was a simple math problem for me

For example, based on hourly rates effective Sept 1 2020:
Our turn-trips (aka out-and-backs) pay 6 hours credit x $50 ... $300 for an extra day of work
By second year that 6 hour trip x $192 ... $1152 for an extra day of work

You need to work nearly 4 extra days in first year to make the same $$$ for one extra day in second year.

Work smart, not hard !

Of course if you need the money NOW, not many other options. Plan accordingly.