View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 07:29 AM
ugleeual
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA

Originally Posted by DustoffVT View Post
The basic work week is 40 hrs, but expect to work a decent amount of extra time. AIA's are on LEAP (Law Enforcement Availability Pay), so that extra time is already figured into your check. Sometimes it works out in your favor, sometimes not. OT is payed only in very limited circumstances.

Flying varies greatly but I would say a rough nationwide average is 30-40 hrs a month. SW border higher.

As agents we are pretty tight, thin blue line and all. Family wise it's more like a regular job than the military. No MWR or anything like that.

One important note for all: AMO is a medium term solution if you're furloughed. The hiring process is long, and they can't be holding mass gatherings for interview days, etc. FLETC is closed. Apply away but it is not going to be a quick process.
I’m senior enough not to be furloughed. AMO recruiter said I can be fast tracked... and things go quickly once you apply so make sure I’m ready before pulling the trigger based on the app package. I have a TS clearance and VA rating.

I’ve always been interested in continuing serving (I’m retired AF) and flying LEO seems like a good third career... as I’m not getting any younger (53). The timing might be good to make a career change for 3-5 years by taking a voluntary LOA and open a spot for someone younger in my company. It will be a pay cut for sure... but personal gratification might outweigh it.

I’m in good physical shape and willing to work hard. I don’t have a SE rating... just 6-7K hours ME in jets and 2 years flying MQ1 Predator... just 10 hrs in ME props... will that be an issue? I don’t want to be a part of an organization where my age could be a factor... so am I barking up the wrong tree and too much of an old fart ? I don’t really want to fly UAVs... what are the odds if I’m willing to go anywhere? Will serving for 3-5 years be a show stopper for CBP? Eventually I’ll need to return to my airline.