View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 08:25 AM
A Squared
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by RomSh85 View Post
CBD is a different thing.
It is, but it isn't.

Chemically, yes, CBD is not the same thing. Pharmaceutically pure CBD contains no THC, has no psychoactive properties and would not cause a positive on a DOT test.

Sounds good, right? Yeah, not so fast. a couple of problems:

1) According to the Federal Government CBD is a Schedule 1 drug, so in the eyes of the federal government, CBD is in the same category as Heroin and LSD,

2) I said Phamaceutically pure CBD wouldn't cause a positive on a DOT test. Thing is, it's not all pharmacutically pure. Even though you can go in stores and openly buy CBD in some states, there are no controls on the quality of the extraction. You're trusting that whomever is producing the CBD you're taking is producing a a high quality extract that contains no THC. That's not always a safe bet. An AME in my local area posted on social media that he had patients (at least one, it might have been 2, no names or personal details so HIPPA patient confidentiality wasn't violated) who had tested positive for THC after taking CBD which they believed was safe.

I'm willing to consider that CBD may have some therapeutic benefits, and if folks are getting positive results from CBD, more power to them. I damn sure wouldn't knowingly take them myself, as long as my career is dependent on passing a DOT screening test.