Thread: COLA award
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM
Wheelswatch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by DrJekyll MrHyde View Post
I think it’s a bit too early to draw the line between pilots, if ever. No one has lost their job or has received notification to expect it. I wasn’t a FAPAinvest recipient, but even if I was I wouldn’t be taking an unpaid COLA right now unless I had other business/family to attend to outside of this job; no different than any other COLA. If they announce any furloughs there will be an opportunity for long term COLAs, hopefully paid at reasonable amount to greatly increase participation. Personally, they need to throw 40hrs or greater at me to get me to walk away for a month. This is based on my general budgeting that my monthly bills/expenses never exceed my 20th of the month paycheck; regardless of how much cash I have in the bank. My mind could be swayed based on the actual number of furloughs proposed, but I won’t lie and say I’m a hard YES or NO because it’s hard to speculate without concrete info. If the company is wise they won’t low ball us, because if they want to be in a position to bounce back and expand in a recessionary period they’ll need to keep to any furloughs to an absolute minimum.

To ask anyone to take an unpaid COLA is to ask them to take a voluntary furlough. That guy at the bottom of the list gets to keep his/her job, pay bills and put money into savings. The unpaid COLA pilot receives no paycheck and is expected to burn through their savings. I don’t expect any senior pilot to pad their savings account while pilots are out on furlough but I do think it’s reasonable that they can pay their bills without diving into their savings.
I think it's ridiculous you had to type all this out. You're exactly right of course, but it should be obvious.