View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM
RJDio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by baseball View Post
For me, if i was SFO based no way would I live there, so commuting would be mandatory.
And that would be your choice. Many like you based in sfo feel the same way and choose to commute. While I won’t sit here and defend the insanity of being governed in the state of California, I can say living in domicile make this a different job. Aside from the fact of not having the stress of commuting and everything that comes with it, it provides vast increases in qol. It’s been years since I’ve done a 4 day. I try and stick to 1-2 day trips, even on reserve. I haven’t missed a single birthday or holiday in years. And even when assigned something over important dates not needing a commutable trip allows one to trade into a less desirable trip to get the time off.

While most of the Bay Area is cost prohibitive, there are areas within a 90 mile radius that are comparable ($$$) with the rest of our hubs, except maybe IAH. The juniority of SFO has allowed many like myself the opportunity to upgrade and help offset the increase in cost of living. I get the feeling I’m ahead ($$$) month after month on rsv as a NB capt as opposed to being a NB Copilot in a senior domicile with a lower cost of living.

Plus not having to shovel snow, deal with mosquitoes or hurricanes, or New Yorkers in itself is a gift that keeps on giving