Thread: April Schedules
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 AM
charleyvarrick
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Essentially everyone is on reserve. Either literally or through super-secret backdoor 23k. WB guys and gals will be enjoying a month of pay probably with very little or no flying. NB, I doubt it. Marketing will be trying to sharp shoot the schedule, creating cascading changes upon changes upon changes. Tracking will be dialing the WOPR up to 11 and letting it do it's reroute magic as it desperately attempts to adapt to the changes without popping a CB. (Think DH from ATL to LGA and overnight, then fly LGA to ATL only to wake up and find out the leg is cancelled, now DH JFK to DTW to ATL.) It will be baffling and inefficient, but guess what? It will cost them nothing extra because they will have enough 23k and reserves to do this inexhaustibly.

I always like the story in "Fate is the Hunter" where Captain Ross is flying up and down a line of thunderstorms, looking for a hole to pass through. Just as Gann begins to wonder how far off course Ross will go, he notices Ross lower his seat to the stop, fasten his shoulder harness, and reach up and turn on the dome lights. He then looks over at Gann and says, "I advise you to do the same," and proceeds to turn the DC-2 straight into the weather. The ride was . . . memorable.