View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
B1900YX
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Clear Left
Exclamation Skyway Closing Doors

here is a email from corporate SAD but it was coming...

If you are a manager, please communicate this information to employees
without e-mail in a timely manner, and in a way that is effective for your work group (i.e. shift briefings, mailbox distribution, one-on-one,
bulletin boards). Thank you.

> To: All Skyway and Midwest Airlines Employees
> Date: January 16, 2008
> From: David Reeve, President and CEO, Skyway Airlines
> Subject: Transition of Midwest Connect Flying to SkyWest

We are today announcing that we will transition the operation of all
Midwest Connect flights from Skyway Airlines to SkyWest Airlines beginning this March and continuing into April.

This means that Skyway Airlines will no longer provide regional flight
operations for Midwest Airlines. It will, however, continue in an airport
services role -- providing Ramp and Dining Services operations for Midwest
Airlines and Midwest Connect, and Customer Service operations in Midwest Connect field stations. Over time, we plan to expand that business to include providing support services for other airlines.
This change in strategy will redeploy our resources in a more strategic,
cost-effective manner, which is necessary for the long-term success of Midwest Air Group. It was necessitated by the economies of operating the Skyway fleet of 32-seat Fairchild 328JET regional jets. In addition to rapidly rising fuel prices, operating the jets has become more costly and
complex because the aircraft is no longer being produced. The 50-seat
aircraft provide us additional seating capacity at about the same cost of operation as the 32-seat aircraft; as a result, with the larger planes we can deliver regional jet service at a lower cost per available seat mile.

As you know, SkyWest operates a fleet of 15 50-seat Canadair regional jets for Midwest Connect as part of a five-year agreement that began in April 2007. To support the transition, additional 50-seat aircraft will join the fleet in March and April 2008 to fly routes currently served by 32-seat
aircraft. We plan to keep about the same number of seats in Skyway markets, but with slightly less frequency.
Unfortunately, this decision also means that the positions of approximately 380 Skyway employees -- mostly pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and dispatchers -- will be eliminated. The positions of approximately 750 employees who provide airport services will not be affected.

This was an extremely difficult business decision in terms of its impact on
Skyway employees. There will likely be opportunities with Midwest Airlines
or SkyWest Airlines for some of those whose positions are eliminated and we will, of course, provide severance to eligible employees.
Without a doubt, this is the most heart-wrenching announcement I have had to make in my 11-year association with the Skyway organization. I have been fortunate to work with an extraordinary group of employees. They will be missed, though I am hopeful that some of them will find employment with Midwest Air Group. I am also confident that those who remain will be proud to be part of an efficient, productive organization that provides high quality service.