View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 04:50 AM
TommyDevito
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by cons View Post
I've been using AF for quite some time now and have been happy with their FIRC. Their material is dry but you can get it done at your own pace. I haven't had to pay for a renewal in over a decade, which was the first time I used their service.

In the past, I've gone to my local FSDO to get the temporary certificate. Last year was the first time the fsdo stated that they don't provide that service anymore. I had to contact the DPE I've used for my students to get the final paperwork done and print me a temporary certificate. I'm not sure if this is something new for FSDOs throughout the country to put the responsibility on DPEs to issue the temporary certificates, or if this is because my local FSDO doesn't have the manpower to issue them.

I've never used AF's service to get the final paperwork done, but if it's only $25 then it's worth it now, especially if I don't have to inconvenience my DPE for it. Just make sure you don't wait until the last minute like I did to get it done. Give yourself a couple of months before your CFI is set to expire.
FSDO's have been understaffed with Ops Inspectors, so a few FSDO's have done what you describe. While I disagree with this, it is left up to the individual FSDO Managers.