View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 09:58 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

I have no mechanical or home repair skills, just a computer nerd here. Now I've been home on LTD for about 3 years so this is not a big difference to me, other than having my "at risk" wife stuck here with me. She normally stays busy away from the house but hasn't been able to leave for about 15 days now. If she get CV-19 and it goes to pneumonia she probably won't survive.

I've played so many online games for so long that I burned out on them about 6 months ago. I just switched out my Win10 gaming rig for a 2012 Mac Mini that hadn't been started up in 4 years. It fired right up, I upgraded the RAM and hard drive and got the latest OS and I'm in business. The Gaming rig needed a clean install of Win10 for the nth time and I just got tired of it. The Mac Mini does everything I need it to, although I can't max out my dual monitor's resolution. I'm thinking about an iMac if they have a good sale on them.

There's nothing better to kill time than online gaming. I speak from over 20 years of experience. Most of the games are money pits, in theory they may be free but really you need to spend some coin on them to have a good experience. I could drop $200-$300/month with no problem. These games fall in that category: World of Tanks; World of Warships; Armored Warfare & Star Trek Online.

There is one game called Elite Dangerous that is not "pay to win". You buy the game for around $60 I think and that's it. The only in game items you can spend money on are "eye candy" stuff like ship paint jobs and uniforms for your character. The game is very immersive. You can make a living as an asteroid miner, buy and sell goods, bounty hunting, pirating (short life expectancy) or exploring and selling exploration data on your return to the "bubble". The galaxy in Elite has over 400M suns. So if you buy a long range ship you can go out to the great unknown, explore strange new worlds, and find Earth like planets and have your name attached to it as "found by". That's even thou there are 10's of thousands of players who've been in the game since 2014. The galaxy in Elite is that big.

The visuals are stunning and the game supports VR headsets. Looks very good when you're trying to find a landing spot on a planet and then deploy the buggy which can mine rare minerals you may find. The are thousands of videos on YouTube about the game, check them out if you think you'd like it. You can also join a squadron, setup voice comms via Discord or Teamspeak, and do joint missions while chatting with the other players.