View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
AFPirate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: C-17s / A320

What are the other duties and jobs you have to do as an officer?

I've been a scheduler, a tactics guy, a mobility guy...etc. In my squad's old way of doing things this translated into very little office work. In the new day and age (2 squadron deployed C-17 stage) there's a lot less flying (we use to be swamped with flying) and now there's more time unfortunately for office stuff. I currently fly a local trainer once a week and fly an overseas 2 week mission every 2 months or so.

How long will you actually be FLYING as you move up through the ranks?

You do two MWS tours (ie. the C-17/F-16/KC-135, etc) and 1 white jet tour (T-1/T-6/C-21/ etc) in your first 10 years. That's the usual track for the majority of Air Force pilots. There are a rash of UAVs going around right now though and 1st tour MWS guys are usually the one's getting stuck with them.

Can you get stuck on non-flying assignments very easily?

It's all about timing. Timing is everything - getting your Aircraft Commander and Instructor qual is also very important.

Whats the toll on the family life?

It is real - don't kid yourself. For all the guys who have the good deals of living overseas there are plenty of guys who've had to take one or more 4-6 month separations (sometimes up to a year) from their loved ones. Consider this part carefully because for all of the financial security in the military, in my view, you do sacrifice some quality of life because of the deployments.

Do you ever lose sleep over any kind of "lethal weapons, life risking" type issues? No.

Exactly HOW cool is that F-16, F-22, C-130?

I think the C-17 is very cool...airdrop missions, airevac missions, dirt landings, large formation exercises (just did a 15ship), glass cockpit, full automation, stick & hud, 330KTS at 300 feet...a lot of good times.

After seperation, how much time/skills would you say is lost/gained from being in the military when transitioning to civ (Civillian being based on seniority can be kinda jacked up)?

I don't think this is a huge deal. The airlines still highly respect a military experienced pilot. You do start on the ground floor in seniority so that is a good counterpoint.

How does salary compare (per diem, on base housing/food, base salary, after taxes, flight pay)?

If I was on the outside, for all the tax free, non-taxed allowances, per diem, etc - I'd be making 6 figures (6 year officer).

I've heard things like, you are an officer first, then a pilot. That's the kind of thing that concerns me. I don't want to go in and then get stuck on a non-flying assignment after promotion to O-4 simply because they don't need me anymore (UAV's, w/e it actually is).

Well you have an option at that point of getting out...yes, officer first pilot second.

OK...enough about my life.

Here's what you need to do. You'll thank me after you've done it.

Find whatever aircraft you're thinking you're wanting to go after -
Identify which guard/reserve unit flies that aircraft -
Interview at that guard/reserve unit...after a few years on orders interview at airline and continue to fly part time in the guard/reserve while building seniority at airline.
It really can't be simpler.

And I'm done.
Best of luck!