View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 03:29 AM
RyeMex
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by Smash312 View Post
Hi, I'm currently working for a foreign LCC (not in the FAA system). Am a Captain on the 737-800 (NG/MAX). 11,000 TT, 5000 JET PIC. I feel that a furlough is impending, so I'd rather do it to myself than have it done to me (I think). I just applied to AtlasAir this past week. No word as yet. Are they still taking folks on?

What is the most junior fleet with Atlas? Am a family man, with a standard household (Mrs, kids etc etc). Any ideas on which fleet would be most family friendly? I understand that it's a cargo outfit where one may be away from 2 weeks at a time possibly, but given the circumstances, how would one play this hand the best they can (from a family perspective)?
Atlas is still hiring. That being said, the rumor is that we received about 400 new applications in a single day recently. Also, the sizes of our classes are somewhat restricted due to the CDC guidelines on social distancing. Best of luck to you with getting a call.

There isn't really a "junior" fleet in the sense that you would be more likely to be hired into one as opposed to any of the others. The 747 and 777 obviously pay more, however these fleets tend to have schedules which have you away from home for 17-18 days at a time. The 767 has both 17 day lines, as well as split lines. I believe that is also the case on the 737. In any case, on any fleet, you can very well expect that there will be times when you'll be away from home for 17-18 days straight, so it's important that you spouse / family be willing to accept that reality.