Old 04-18-2020, 04:16 AM
4myfamily
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: CA CRJ900
Default 401K From Previous Employer What Should I Do?

Consider converting to an IRA and Self Direct it - especially if you are tired of the roller coaster ride of the market and want to manage your own IRA funds.

I did this in 2014 when I changed employers. I have been buying real estate and mortgage notes with my LLC owned by Self Directed IRA. My returns are far better than the stock market average and very stable. I even flipped Final Four tickets in my IRA for a fantastic ROI.

I read a book by Mat Sorenson (attorney specializing in Self Directed IRAs) in 2013 that gave me the play book on how to accomplish getting my money out of the stock market and into investments that I could control. After years as the Self Directed legal expert Mat and others started their own IRA Trust Company, DirectedIRA.com. If you are interested in managing your own IRA I suggest reading his book, you can find it on Amazon by searching Mat Sorensen.

You can also watch the following video for a brief summary of Self Directing IRAs. Short Video on Self Directed IRAs

I know this may sound like a sales pitch for Mat Sorensen, but it is not. It is a sales pitch for Self Directed IRAs, which can be set up at many IRA custodians. I think it is the best vehicle for many people to use for retirement accounts, especially for Type A people like pilot. We do love to be in control. Mat just happens to be the expert in the area, so I think he is a valuable resource.

I am very passionate about Self Directing IRAs, as I was tired of watching my brokerage account suffer wild fluctuations. I wanted to create a rental portfolio that would provide me a lifetime of monthly income and not suffer 20-30% reductions in my capital or have companies stop paying dividends and impact my retirement years. The bulk of my cash was in my 401k, so I needed to use to invest in real estate to generate monthly income for retirement. If you have any questions feel free to PM.

If you have changed jobs and already moved your old 401K to a broker you still have the option to move the funds from the broker and start self directing.

Blessings to all and stay safe during these uncertain times.