View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 08:20 AM
AboveMins
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by Smash312 View Post
Hi, I'm currently working for a foreign LCC (not in the FAA system). Am a Captain on the 737-800 (NG/MAX). 11,000 TT, 5000 JET PIC. I feel that a furlough is impending, so I'd rather do it to myself than have it done to me (I think). I just applied to AtlasAir this past week. No word as yet. Are they still taking folks on?

What is the most junior fleet with Atlas? Am a family man, with a standard household (Mrs, kids etc etc). Any ideas on which fleet would be most family friendly? I understand that it's a cargo outfit where one may be away from 2 weeks at a time possibly, but given the circumstances, how would one play this hand the best they can (from a family perspective)?
I'm on the 747 at Atlas, with about 2 years on property. 30 day lines seem to always be 17 days on, or you could a 60 day line where your trips are a few days shorter, but have 3 trips in those 60 days versus two. Days on for those vary, but they're usually somewhere around 10-12 day trips.

Family life can be a challenge. I have 3 kids and my wife is a stay at home mom. We seem to be able to make it work. She developed a great support structure at home with friends and family that help out when I'm on the road. As for the job itself, it's not bad. It could definitely be better, but as long as you understand what you're getting into, and manage your expectations accordingly, you won't be let down. It's true, this place is run by a group of self-serving scumbags at the top, but at least we know where we stand with them.

​​​​​PM me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to share the good, the bad, and the ugly of working here...