View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Purpleanga
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
I’m not at Altlas, but another ACMI carrier. This is geared towards those that are scrambling to get a job there, please please please have a good attitude about it. ACMI freight may not be where you seen yourself just 6 months ago, which is fine. But do remember that the pilots you will be flying with, especially the senior ones have made a career out of it. These were pilots that went and stayed there, even when other options were on the table. If things start to rebound in the industry, try to keep your excitement internal when opportunities to leave present themselves. That doesn’t mean don’t talk and seek career guidance, but refrain from belittling the current shop as much as possible. The last person someone wants to fly with for 16-18 days is another pilot who feels they’re better than the job they currently have. Know that you are joining a carrier during a time when the people already there have been fighting like hell to green their own grass, so fight the good fight with them but be positive and learn as much as you can from the ACMI style flying. If you fly with some sour grapes, take it in stride and don’t start spouting things like... well I didn’t have a choice, so..

I feel for those who lost their jobs recently, and hope this works out for you and your families. I’m glad this is an option for those that want to keep earning doing what they love, and who knows it may turn out to be the job you were looking for all along. Of the few friends I have at Atlas on the 74, the common theme is if Atlas had a much better contract it would be the best job in aviation.

Being gone for 2 weeks or more at a time is not for the faint of heart. Of course when you don’t have an option you have to do it but I think that’s the biggest hurtle new guys that didn’t plan on being there will have. Most are coming from 4 or 5 days on, totally different. Those times when you realize it’s only day 10, those are tough.