Thread: Politics Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 06:20 AM
Turbosina
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by Gspeed View Post
Im a bit baffled by your contention that a GT car is not a type of sports car.

I’d agree that the 911 has evolved from an all-out sports car into something leaning towards a GT. But I’ve also driven a number of them, including the new 992. It is faster than GT3’s of yore, lighter than other GT cars in the market, and is most definitely still a sports car.

The M2 (especially the M2C) is simply an E46 M3 reincarnated. And good luck finding anyone in the automotive world who doesn’t think the E46 is anything other than a quintessential sports car, 2 and 4-door alike.

You’re welcome.
E39 any day over the E46 . And the M2C, while blessed with plenty of straight-line power, has none of the handling that defined the early gen M3s. I'd call both of them sports sedans, not sports cars.

The 911 is absolutely a GT car these days. Hard to say exactly when that transformation happened, but there's a reason Porsche has continued to put more power and capability into the Cayman and Boxster. Because they knew that with the 911's constant growth, it was moving the brand away from its true sports car heritage, and providing few b options for people who wanted 2 seats and sub-4 second 0-60 times.

But this is all, of course, purely personal opinion