Thread: Politics Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Turbosina
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by Gspeed View Post
So GT cars aren’t subsets of the sports car segment and 2-door E46 M3’s are sports sedans? Got it.

I suppose you’re an expert on virology too?
Aren't we all experts? Isn't that why we frequent Internet forums, to share our wisdom with all the uninformed souls out there?

It's like judging attractiveness of the opposite sex (or same, if that's how you roll.) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't define exactly what a sports car is. It's not just a particular spec; it's a reason for being. It's an intent in the minds of the designers. I will say, though, that aside from the air-cooled 911s I have never driven anything with 4 seats -- no matter how vestigial -- that I would call a 'sports car'.

Personally I see a "sports car" as being distinct from a GT car, just like a 'sports sedan' in my mind is not a 'sports car.' I would also distinguish 'sports cars' from 'supercars' like the McLaren 720, or hypercars like the Enzo, 918, etc.

But again, it's just my personal opinion. As you can see from the below, I am a bit of an enthusiast...

Currently in my garage:
Porsche 718 Cayman S ('18)
Porsche 718 Boxster ('18)

Formerly in my garage:
Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce ('80)
Acura NSX ('90)
Lotus Elan SE ('67)
Honda Prelude ('88)

Have autocrossed or tracked:
Mazda Miata NA, NB, NC generations
Both Porsche 718s
Porsche 911 Turbo S (991.2 gen)

Last edited by Turbosina; 04-27-2020 at 12:02 PM.