View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 06:22 PM
4020Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by Ken88 View Post
Question:
So I had completed my PPL a year prior and after leaving the military decided to go to a prominent accelerated flight school to get my ratings quickly and boom 4 busts in record time: IR oral, IR flight retest, CMEL(initial)x 2. I decided to leave this training establishment after these bust due to finances because there was a lot of delays with weather, and the busts didn't help either. I have been working maintenance side for the past 1.5 to 2 years (I am also A&P ).

All my checkrides have been with the same examiner including my PPL which I passed first time. I ended up having to get another examiner for my final recheck for commercial multi. I didn't have much say in DPE choice, the school just set you up how they wanted to and availability in the area. I could go into details on all these busts but that's not why I am here. I have learned from them despite how unfortunate. I am just seeking some advice on if it makes sense to even try to fly for a living. Would getting my ASEL add on, CFI, CF-II without failure make me more marketable? or would it make more sense to just build some time and try to get on right seat with a Part 135 operator or something like that? I don't have an issue with the airlines, but the end goal for me is more like being the captain on a G-VI or Global flying around the world. Or do I need to give up, fly for fun and just be the best mechanic I can be?

Ken88, you’re in a very similar situation as I am, unfortunately. I asked a similar question here: Looking for life advice- What would you do? Hopefully some of those answers help you find a path to move forward, too.

Are you working as an A&P now? I’d only “just” be a mechanic if it’s something you truly enjoy, and really want to do it for a living. I will tell you from my experience that working as an A&P is not very satisfying if flying is your ultimate goal. If you’re working, and can afford it, get those ratings finished, and at the very least you can fly on the side and build time that way. Aircraft ownership becomes fairly inexpensive when you have an A&P, that’s basically what I did, and now have over 1500 hours. Just a few things to think about.