Old 04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
deadstick

If you want to be a CFI and make a life long living of it join the military.
I would never join the military. If we ever get back to using the military solely for defense and not imperialism, I might consider it. Besides, I thought color-blind need not apply there, either.

Depending on what kind of work schedule I could keep, I could always supplement my income with my current line of work, which I enjoy doing as well. Basically, I dream of being in the air, and am very limited in my chances of being up there on a regular basis if I were limited to just recreational flying. I need to either produce income or simply not spend money to be able to fly. Other than instructing, I am open to any other flying career where a night flight restriction wouldn't be an automatic bar to employment.

I am trying to find some other alternative tests to take such as Dvorine or AOC or even the FALANT Lantern, and if worse comes to worse, then I'll take the signal light gun test. I spoke to Dr. Monaco of Flight Sight, and he has told me to take the SLG only as a last resort since a SODA can have a negative impact later on when seeking employment.

Specialization in the CFI business sounds like a good idea. I am sure there are some good niches to fill. If there are any voids that need to be filled, information in that regard would prove very helpful.

I know about protecting myself from liability. I contract now and I know the importance of asset protection. On paper I look pretty poor, which is important to getting looked over by an unscrupulous lawyer. I know many good lawyers already and get good advice all the time, it's not what you know....

I have looked into possibly getting my own airplane. I was interested in getting a good IFR trainer, but an ME seems like a better option since many of the local FBOs and schools don't have one. I was thinking about exploring the option of getting an ME and doing week-long contracts with the different schools. I have to explore the legalities of that first though and find out what I can and can't do.

Use this as a reason to forget about pro flying. Start your own business, find a stable job, make money. You can still fly. People become CFIs because they have to. As far as sim instructor you can still find a job, you don't have to be a CFI. Maybe as a learjet instructor or something like that but the big boeing sim jobs are probably taken by former airline pilots.
No can do, flying is my cocaine. I am self-employed now in my current line of work which I do enjoy doing. Learjet instruction sounds like a good idea. I fell in love with Learjet cockpits even before my feet ever left the ground, thanks to Flight Simulator 98.