View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 12:31 PM
Longbow66
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by flyandtri View Post
Going through the application process and things are moving along nicely, question for the folks currently flying at CBP-

If I get hired into a UAS/UAV location and want to get into a King Air, would the time it takes to transfer be measured in months, years or "check your crystal ball"?
I'm gung-ho for the mission and a LE career, but I'd be lying if I said I'd be happy doing UAV work for the long term. Thanks

I think you could use the uas as a bargaining chip to get to the MEA (King Air). I’d caution you though, once you’ve been sent to a UAS branch and get trained I don’t know how likely it is you’ll ever leave. Maybe some other’s can chime in on the likelihood of getting out of the uas once in ? The MEA unfortunately is viewed as the pinnacle of fixed wing aviation in the agency and will be very difficult to get into, regardless of previous experience. Seniority really helps towards your cause. I believe the only real flight time you’ll get is in a Cessna 206 to remain current while at the uas branch. Unless drones are your thing I wouldn’t put my name in for it.