Thread: Gastric bypass?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 06:53 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Before resorting to surgery, I'd at least try a big lifestyle change revolving around exercise. This worked for two family members who were newly-diagnosed diabetics, and solved the weight and blood sugar problems.

Exercise 2-3 hours/day, six days/week. Doesn't have to be extreme, even brisk walking/hiking and light calesthentics will do it. Even better if you find hobbies and activities which keep you moving for more daily hours.

Once you get into that habit it actually feels good, and you want to do it although it might take some discipline to stick with it initially for a few weeks or months

This is a long-game, not an attempt at crash weight loss. With a little luck, that much activity will shift your metabolism, making it easier to eat healthy. The later is the real key, if you eat a lot, or your metabolism just can't handle it well, it's very hard to exercise off all those calories, you'd have to be training for an ironman, military special forces, or pro sports as full-time job.

Personally I always end up fitter, lighter, and feeling better after a couple weeks at our vacation home, where we do a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities. I do less of my normal gym workouts on vacation.

Most of us have the time to do it right now...