View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 08:42 PM
ORDinary
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by GPullR View Post
No not at all. I have lots of friends at AA, hope they all do well. I just think for anyone to believe that thinks are going to be fine short term and believe somebody like Parker is crazy. I think UAL is trying to get ahead of the game with (hopefully) worst case scenario. Its much easier to say, just kidding Sept 30th then the opposite. I think parkers route is much easier for people to take but not realistic in the least. Would bet AA, UAL and Delta all furlough 2-3k come October 1st.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
While AA may be hurting because of higher debt, the staffing hit could be different for each airline. First, AA has had more early retirements and has more retirements overall. Next, DAL and to an even greater extent UAL had more international flying than AA. All three are cutting more international than domestic for the next couple of years for obvious reasons. International flying requires more pilots, especially the Asia flying which typically requires 4-pilot crews for each flight. UAL had the biggest Asia presence of the three, AA the least. Yes each airline might go into bankruptcy eventually with AA leading the way, but for now it makes sense that AA would have less furloughs than the others, even if we just lucked into it.