Old 05-11-2020, 08:55 AM
742Dash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Retired

To add a couple of points and some opinion --

Different countries have different views on the 250 below 10. The United States lets clean maneuvering fall under 91.117(d) [at least until some random Fed gets a stick up their butt], however some countries do not. And in those countries if you have to drag flaps until passing FL100 then so be it.

Some countries have a strict 250 below FL100 unless the specific airline has been approved for higher.

Know thine airspace!

"Request high speed climb" is not the same as "Request 290 knots". Some authorities allow ATC to cancel all speed restrictions, and the locals will run right up to their enroute climb speed when approved. So if you ask ATC for "high speed climb", they approve, and then you only go to 275 Knots, you may have dorked things up. "Request high speed climb" sounds cool, but "Request 275 Knots until FL100" is more accurate.

And in those areas that do "high speed climb", there is an argument made that United States certificate holders are still bound by 91.117. So no 330 Knots at 7,000'. I take no position on this, just bring up the fact that it exists. My fallback has always been to fit in smoothly in whatever corner of the world that I am in.