View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 04:12 PM
MedSledDriver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Shaft34 View Post
I can't speak directly for our guys doing the hiring, but I know they are looking for pilots with a diverse flying background. Since we do fly non-centerline turboprops exclusively, I'd say that, yes you'll need some experience in a non-centerline aircraft even if the FAA has changed their tune. That being said, they tend to look at the whole person and their specific flying background, so there might be wiggle room in the definitions and what they'll accept.

We do have several former fighter guys and they have done well, but it's really about how their personality fits with our flying and work environment. Think of it as a benefit towards situational and tactical awareness, but nobody is going to get hired solely because of that background. Every one of our former fighter pilots have some other experience to bring to the table.

I know they value glider time and bush flying due to the need for good hand flying and energy management skills. Personally, the experiences that were the most beneficial to me have been my glider and U-2 time. We fly the tanker low and slow in steep terrain. Learning how to manage energy by loading the wing while slow is a key skill.

This really, really piqued my interest.

I just upgraded at my regional (last class to do so because virus) and I don’t hate it but I know it doesn’t suit me.

I have over 800 hours in tailweel, commercial glider pilot and former CFI-G with bush pilot experience in Alaska. Born and raised in California.

Have there been an increase in applications and hiring now that so many normal flying jobs have furloughed?

Is there a “hiring season” or is it year round?

What is starting pay like after taxes? I know California taxes are pretty heavy.

Fly safe.