Thread: Earnings call
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 12:30 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

It was a market order execution for a buy order. Buy, market, 1150 shares. It fills ASAP at the current market rate. The breakdown just depends on how the order was filled. For big orders very rarely does it execute as one price for all 1150 shares.

I'm not looking at a loss on a day-to-day basis. You'd stroke yourself out. Airlines and cruises are tough, so for these I go short hold not a long one. I bought at 9.45 (rounded), if this thing hits 10.45 I could sell and make $1150. That's how on Carnival I bought at 8.99 and then put a sell limit order at 11.99 and it executed. 3 grand profit (minus ordinary income tax on gain - but whatever, I'm not holding long run on a consumer entertainment during Covid).

It's worked for me fairly well. The one BIG one that bit me in the ass was my gamble on Embraer. I bought it at 6.46 on the assumption the European Commission would approve it in July. Boeing bailed and the stock crashed. I panick sold at 5. Had I held it though, 2 days later it returned to a high of 6.50 and I could have sold and made a couple dollars instead of losing $$$$.

All that said, Spirit *might* be the one exception I make and hold long. I really think after Delta and Southwest CEOs admitting today that business travel ain't coming back anytime soon, and Delta parking widebodies, Spirit is going to be the one that comes out ahead. I'm not saying it's going back to $60 anytime soon but even going back to $15+ would be a nice profit. I doubt NK would declare bankruptcy and even if they do, losing ~10.7k is still a drop in the bucket for the potential upside.

Sheesh. I have more faith in ya'll than you do?