View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 03:50 PM
ugleeual
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA

Originally Posted by CLazarus View Post
So starting in June guys who are displaced into the Bus/737 fleets will start arriving at the TK, and I can't recall anyone here making an informed estimate at how fast crews can get trained into those fleets. Obviously, how fast Bus/737 guys can get trained has a big impact on the size and rate of potential furloughs. I'm putting some numbers here but would appreciate it if anyone can improve on them, especially since I've never worked at TK. I count 6 Bus FFS and 9 737 FFS. I assume each can do 5x4 hour training events per day (4 hours being set aside for maintenance).

The Requal-1 course appears to need two FFS events, RQ-2 needs 6, and RQ-3 needs 7. Initial Qual needs 10. For this guesstimate I'm assuming everyone needs an RQ-3. I think only a handful of folks will be eligible for RQ-1 and quite a few will be able to do RQ-2 so I figure they will somewhat balance out those who need Initial Quals.

So, if the Bus sims can handle 30 training events a day they could qualify an average of 4.3 crews every day (30/7 RQ-2 FFS). Comes out to 129 a month and 514 crews between June and September 30th.

The 737 sims can handle 45 events per day and qualify 6.4 crews per day (45/7). That makes 193 crews a month and 772 crews up until September 30th.

I think these guesstimates are probably well on the high side. For example, in June they will certainly not push out 129/193 crews since the first crews attending training will not even be graduating until at the very least a full week into June.

Side question - How much notice are they required to give you to attend landings class and do you have any say in when you go? I'm making plans for June that I'd rather not get interrupted on short notice.
A 737 PI told me last week that they can train approximately 55 crews per month... 320s around 37 per month. This is with the sim running 5 training periods and 1 period for maintenance and disinfectant cleaning. This is full qualification courses lasting almost 5 weeks... many pilots only need a short course that could be as quick as a couple days and some taking a couple weeks. Guess is that they training center will target pilots needing the short courses first and then start the full courses in July/August.