Thread: Path to FedEx
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Rocksteady
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Thrust Hold View Post
Gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run. There's an experience element to being a First Officer. The key is to find where that time can be reasonable and not excessive before upgrading to get that TPIC. There's no telling which regional will be preferred when all of the COVID dust settles, but try to find one with the potential for growth in future aircraft deliveries and attrition through some type of flow or preferential interview process (neither of these will matter when their partnered airline has pilots furloughed). Good Luck!
I can’t emphasize this comment enough. Being an FO was a huge part of becoming a good captain. In the panel interview for FedEx I got so many questions centered around “what would you do if your captain does this?” Had I not been able to experience being an FO for 2 yrs I wouldn’t have answered the questions the way they want to hear. It is important to be an FO, and become a good FO, and that will make you a better captain. CRM is the most critical part to safety in my opinion. FedeEx knows anyone they interview is a good stick. They want to know are you someone that can be a good FO for 5-10yrs while you wait for upgrade at FedEx. So don’t shy away from somewhere because you will be an FO for 2 years, but also don’t go somewhere will you will be stuck in the Right seat forever because upgrade is so senior.