View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 05:41 AM
symbian simian
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

Originally Posted by Privateer89 View Post
For all you VP’s...my big question is at what point could we break even? I realize there are a lot of factors such as reduced capital spending, early outs, and EETO. These will all work in with the lower ticket prices we will undoubtedly see. We are currently burning 20M/Day which is much improved from the 30M-35M from April. My guess would be if we could operate about 80% of our fleet at 70-75% load factor.

This is where SWA’s no furlough legacy and balance sheet will be significant. Every airline will obviously be overstaffed come Q4 barring the failure any large airline. If any company is burning so much cash that bankruptcy is a risk, then a furlough is most likely in the playbook. They have an obligation to act in the best interest of the shareholders. If we can break even or withstand smaller temporary losses, it would be easier to justify being overstaffed in order to maintain the no furlough legacy for the long term benefit of SWA.
WAG: Losing $20M per day, if the average revenue is $100 per pax you need 200,000 pax per day to break even, currently running around 2000 flights per day, so 100 pax per 180 available seats is 55% load factor to break even.
Realistically I don’t think revenues are close to $100/pax, and the numbers are only good while the future tax payers pay our current salaries.