Old 05-23-2020, 07:18 PM
Anson Harris

Originally Posted by jDSTJD View Post
I don't think things will ever be the same for much of the work force's work environment and routine. I happen to work in one of the fields that requires most work to be done in an office environment in which I sit in front of a computer most of the day. My other time is spent in meetings or on the phone. My employer had already begun experimenting with remote working before the pandemic struck so the concept wasn't that foreign to me. However, since I have been an "office worker" my entire career, it took some getting used to because I was used to wearing mostly suits all the time, the hour long morning and afternoon hustle and bustle of commuting to/from the office everyday, getting that morning cup of coffee as soon as I stepped foot in the office and then settling into my chair at my desk for a day of emails, phone calls and meetings. I was actually uncomfortable with the idea of not doing that everyday...I felt like I was not "working" when I was at home. But when the pandemic struck and we were required to work from home, I had no choice but to get used to it. Now, after having worked this way for over two months...to HELL with going back to work as usual. I invested in creating a home office that I set up to be almost identical to my office downtown. I get to walk from my bed to the kitchen, poor a cup of coffee and sit down at my computer in my home office in my jammies and footies and do the same work I have been busting by tail to drive 2 hours a day to do. I no longer have to spend almost $60 a week for gas, sit in traffic on a hot Texas highway two hours a day, I save a ton of money by not having to shop for expensive clothes and other crap every week or so, can have my tv on in the background while I work all day, can run to the store or go have lunch with my kid or mom or whoever, take walks or exercise during the day, the list goes on. When I do have to go somewhere, there's no where near the amount of traffic there was in the past because so many people are working from home as well, which is good for the environment! Its awesome. I don't see how things will go back to the way they were now that Americans have gotten a taste of what life is like working from home. It's just an overall reduction in all of the stress that goes along with having to travel elsewhere to do work that you can do from home if you can configure your home technologically to do so. As discussed by others, for many working from home will not be a long-term reality, but I think allowing this form of employment will benefit all of us in terms of quality of life, mental health, financially, and in a host of other ways.
Your perspective is valid, but one thing to keep in mind is how things change over time. When no one has any choice but to work at home, that's different than the future when people will once again have the option to work in person.

Right now in the middle of a pandemic, people are concerned for their jobs and doing their very best to remain productive remotely. No one wants to be perceived as the unproductive, expendable employee. Fast forward to when regular office work is again normal, and there will be complications with some remote workers. Not everyone is a model employee, and there will be a noticeable difference between those employees who get there at 8am, are visibly working throughout the day, and those who you never know where they are and what they are doing. Right now, when pretty much every one is working remotely, it all seems the same.

A huge part of business is won by the "sales call," even if you're not literally trying to get someone to fork over money and buy something. In a head to head competition, the in-person visit will win almost every time over the team that tries to close the deal via MS Teams. But when we all can't travel and are playing on the same field, remote work seems like it's good enough (and it is, when we're all doing it).

Edit: I had a guy come thorough my neighborhood door-to-door today (wearing a mask), pitching a Memorial Day weekend sale for his company's home service. Apparently a pandemic wasn't enough to make them switch to a phone/email campaign instead.