View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM
Downtime
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2020

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
For clarity...

By "challenge population", I meant a population which would be naturally challenged by the virus in the wild. If the bug dries up in some countries, might have to go elsewhere (Africa is a possibility).

The issue isn't just getting enough exposure in the trial, it's doing it fast enough to get a vaccine approved quickly. They could run a 10-year trial and probably get enough data from that... eventually.

An intentional challenge trial would also be reasonable IMO, the risks are pretty well-known for age and health condition. I'd volunteer. They can do safety trials with the usual age groups (start in the middle, young and healthy, then move out to young and old) but restrict an intentional challenge trial to the young-ish.

Of course there would be hand-wringers

I got you. Yeah I think I would be in too. The WHO is now backing it as conditionally as well. We ask people to work in fire fighting, law enforcement, and serve in the military and all of those have a much higher then zero percent chance of ending you disabled or dead. This could save countless lives.