View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 AM
Av8tr1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Originally Posted by SSlow View Post
^^To add to what you are saying, the life expectancy in the US dropped down into the 40s during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Plenty of other valid reasons for why older generations had it way worse but this one particularly sticks out.

https://ourworldindata.org/spanish-f...mic-in-history

However, if you want to compare recent generations then I think there are plenty of arguments for why the millennials have had it worse than the boomers and gen x, but there's really no point in doing that since all of us have had soft, easy lives comparatively speaking.
Agreed. I think anyone born (in the US) since the 50s has no idea what real difficulties are. Even our homeless are better off than many third world countries. Friend of mine came here illegally (many years ago) from Mexico. He grew up in a actual "mud hut". Did not eat every day. Meanwhile I walked past a homeless guy recently living in a coleman tent with a propane heater while surfing the internets on a dell laptop computer using (I am assuming) cell phone hotspot (or leaching off a local free wifi).

We live in the richest country in the world. Our poor and homeless have it better than most of the third world. Boo Hoo you lost your nearly 100k a year in your early 20s. Welcome to reality.